Hi All,
This week we created a course plan that outlined that objectives of a course that encompassed Colonial, Industrial, and Modern eras. The idea sounds easy, but I found myself a bit overwhelmed. Our objective was to create a detailed plan that outlined the specifications that the instructor gave at the Skype meeting. However, what were the specified limits? The instructor preferred traditional face-to-face values to be placed in his online course--which was completely fine, but our Instructional Design team strongly encouraged the instructor to take advantage of online communication resources such as chat and possible video discussions. We created a plan that started with the basics that the instructor requested. We later worked our way up to an analysis that discussed Horton's 11 Instructional Design Steps and ways to interact through activities created by Judi Harris. The journey in creating this plan was filled with numerous questions, but with teamwork and constant communication, we found ourselves developing a structured plan that outlined what the instructor addressed.
My role was to gather all our information to create the detailed course plan. In addition, I reflected on the Virtual Architecture activities created by Judi Harris and abstract written by Dr. Newberry. Essentially, these activities are a step by step guide into creating positive and effective communication and interaction not only between students, but with the instructor and his/her students as well. I learned that in an online course it is so much more efficient to take advantage of the World Wide Web. In addition, we provided links and helpful tables that the instructor can refer to since it is his first time leading an online course.
We look forward to your feedback!
Yes, it was a lot to think of. When designing my course, I had to rely heavily on the internet. The other driving need is that no one has money for the cost of information for the courses, so you have to find free resources that are copyright free.
ReplyDeleteBoth you and Janet raise very important points to keep in mind when designing an online course. I also found myself overwhelmed and confused by the project at the very beginning, but after I saw Janet’s version it gave me a better idea of where to go with the tasks. Did any of you find any free resources that you would like to share with the class?
ReplyDeleteProjects like this can be overwhelming. I liked the way your group incorporated multiple approaches to the problem. Nicely done!
ReplyDelete